Our favourite gear list!
Keep in mind that of course we can’t list all the brands of great gear out there and there are certainly solid substitutes for things on this list. But since you’re asking…..
|A good pack has:
- Locally at Costco – Paradox are affordable and solid if you can hit the right season
- Stripes is a BC company based in Comox – bonus 10% of your purchase supports our scholarship fund
- Mountain Warehouse – wool base layers for $25 a piece or sometimes less!
- Hands down the BEST of the BEST – Patagonia Capilene
In a rain pant bibs are great. Second to that a leg with an elastic cuff on the ankle saves a lot of boot dumping.
Unfortunately rain gear is one area where brand names make a big difference. MEC, Patagonia, Columbia, Helly Hansen, outdoor gear brands are what you are looking for.
*We do not recommend “muddy buddies” or “newt suits” for kids 3 and over.
Mittens absolutely MUST have a long cuff that can go over top of their coats sleeves. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- MEC Toasty Mitts – little ones – bigger little ones
- The North Face
- Columbia Chippewa long
- Mountain Warehouse long cuff – Fox
*No Stonz – they don’t fit well, Kombi wear out quickly so buyer beware.
Anything soft, light and packable “puff” – stay away from bulky kids winterwear. Bear in mind that down is useless once it gets wet so kids need to wear a rain shell on wet days.
- Paradox at Costco
- The North Face Puff
We have a NO gum boots policy. Kids trip, get sore feet and blisters.
- The MUCK boot company – Arctic (try Big Boot Inn)
- Bogs Insulated at MEC or in town – MUST be well fitting
- The Northface Alpenglow
Kids ski socks are pretty easy to find in local gear stores.
- Best Wool – Smartwool kids – available at Atmosphere or Big Boot Inn
- Best non-wool – Kombi
Mountain warehouse makes kids wool socks, I’ve not tried them.
*Wigwam shrink and we DO NOT recommend them.
Shoes & Runners
Once the weather warms and dries almost any well fitting runner works well.
- Curly laces for lace up shoes that need to be tied
- No slip on shoes
- No open toes
- Yes – closed toe sandals such as Keens Seacamp are fine.
Local Kid Friendly Gear Stores to try:
- Atmosphere or Sport Check
- Big Boot Inn
- Costco – very seasonal
Unfortunately that’s it.
I’d LOVE to open a retail store for kids gear….maybe one day.